Looking for the best speed dating questions that will reveal your date’s true character in the shortest time span as possible?
Look no more – here is the only list of speed dating questions you’ll ever need!
Speed dating events are a popular alternative on the dating scene that have overshadowed online dating on dating websites and bar hopping as well.
As the name itself says, attending a speed date (event) is a form of instant dating where you have a limited time to meet new people and find your perfect match (or matches) and that is why asking the right questions is of crucial importance!
You see, speed dating is more like a first impression instead of a first date.
You want to be the master of leaving a good impression and at the same time reveal your potential partner‘s true character to see if you’re compatible.
That is why – among other speed dating tips and dating advice – dating experts specifically advise asking questions that are both interesting and impressive at the same time!
The key to successful speed dating is in impressing your date with both your way of thinking and your appearance!
By asking meaningful questions, you’ll let your date know that you’re not a shallow person who asks the first (trivial) questions that come to your mind.
You’ll introduce yourself as being extremely thoughtful, imaginative, and, above all, interesting. And, trust me, there is not a single soul on earth who wouldn’t be attracted to such qualities!
And, lucky you, you won’t have to spend the rest of the day searching for perfect speed dating questions because everything you need and more is on the list down below!
The list consists of questions that will help you break the ice, fun questions, serious questions, important questions, deep deal-breaker questions, and many more!
And all you need to do is pick the ones that suit you best, write them on a sheet of paper, print them (or you can learn them by heart), and impress your dates on the next speed dating event! So, buckle up and let’s get the party started!
- Where do you see yourself in 5 (or 10) years?Ambitious people make plans for the future. They know exactly where they will be and what they will be doing at a certain point in time in the near future.
- What’s one thing that most people would be surprised to learn about you?This is a great way to indirectly ask them to reveal to you their secret talents, qualities, or some weird and eccentric habits. Hmm…
- What are the things you’re doing to improve yourself?Taking care of oneself and always making an effort to improve things in one’s own life and in the lives of others is the quality of hard-working, determined and successful individuals.
- What’s the biggest thing you’ve had to overcome in your life?Perhaps they’ve gone through a painful heartbreak or some event that has affected them significantly and turned them into the person they are today. Our past events shape our present and future as well.
- What would you do if you won the lottery?This is a good question to ask if you want to find out whether they are materialistic or philosophical. A materialistic person would use the money for self-pleasure and selfish purposes, but a mindful person would use it for more humanitarian goals.
- Where’s your favorite place to eat and what’s your favorite food?Perhaps you will go on a date in the near future and you certainly don’t want to f**k things up and take them to a place that they don’t really enjoy, right?
- Do you have kids? Do you see yourself as a parent?If you love kids and you can see yourself as a parent one day, this could be a big deal-breaker.
- Where’s one place you have always wanted to visit?According to the place they want to visit, you can see whether they are an adventurous soul or just a couch potato.
- If you were stranded on an island, what are the 3 things that you’d want to have with you?We all have some things that we can’t live without and we simply can’t function without them, no matter where we go. What are the 3 things your date can’t imagine their life without? Hmm…
- What is your least favorite household chore?Another great question to find out whether their least favorite household chore is actually your favorite one. Compromising and sharing tasks is key to a harmonious companionship.
Speed Dating Icebreaker Questions
- If a movie was being made of your life and you could choose the actor/actress to play you, who would you choose and why?Perhaps their life is an action movie full of exciting things or a drama with many plot twists directed by Quentin Tarantino.
- What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done for fun?It is always interesting to ask such a spicy question, then listen to their funny answers and recollections of their events.
- If you could eliminate one thing from your daily routine, what would it be and why?Perhaps they don’t like washing dishes or they would like to eliminate going to their job and the like. Whatever it is, you’ll learn something new about their habits and personality for sure.
- What is in the trunk of your car right now?You’d be surprised what kind of things people have in their trunks. For example, my cousin used to have tons of stilettos in her trunk and at that time she was a real party girl. Maybe your speed date is going through the same phase…
- What is the best gift anyone’s ever given to you?Humble people appreciate DIY gifts over expensive and overly luxurious ones.
- What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?Is it coffee, tea, or perhaps something else that you would never guess?
- Are you an animal lover?Animal lovers are people with big, tender hearts, so asking your speed date whether they like animals is like asking them whether they have a soul, right?
- Have you ever been here before?Perhaps it’s your first time there and it would be good to share experiences.
- What’s your favorite color?Different colors indicate different emotions. For example, red is the color of passion and love, whereas black is mysterious. To which color spectrum does your date belong?
- What was your childhood dream job?We all had something we imagined doing in our future. We all foresaw one perfect job as children, but is it the same job they are doing today?
- What is something you’re passionate about?Is it singing, drawing, writing, playing games?
- Have you ever done anything extreme like skydiving?Skydiving is definitely for brave and adventurous people, so use the opportunity to find out whether they belong to the adventurous crew.
- How long have you lived here?Perhaps they are new to the area and you could offer to show them around the city.
- What’s your biggest guilty pleasure?We all have that one guilty pleasure we can’t stop thinking about.
- What’s the last book you read?If you’re an avid reader yourself, you’d want to share your reading experiences with them and see a different perspective on things you both read, right?
Funny Speed Dating Questions
- What was your most embarrassing moment?Listening to other people’s embarrassing moments is like laughing your a** off at a good comedy film.
- Do you break any traffic rules if there is no cop around?Do you strictly obey rules or you sometimes just go with the flow when you see that there’s no one around who could punish you for it?
- Imagine that we’re at a restaurant and you find a hair in your food. How would you react?We all have different reactions when it comes to these little annoying things. Some people would instantly demand to talk to the manager and others wouldn’t really give a damn. It all depends on our personality.
- How long do you give someone to go at a green light before honking?This is another way of asking someone: Are you a patient person or extremely impatient?
- How do you handle a bad hair day?Do you use a dry shampoo, wear a hat, or simply not give a damn about any of it?
- What’s the weirdest smell you have ever smelled?I’m pretty sure that this will be a fun one to hear.
- What is something that everyone looks stupid doing?To me, personally, it is observing people’s serious faces while they’re typing on their phones or laughing at their screens like lunatics. Perhaps your date finds this one stupid too.
- What kind of secret society would you like to start?Ah, if you want to laugh your a** off, just ask them this one question and pay close attention to their answer. Perhaps you’ll learn something really impressive about them.
- What’s the most imaginative insult you can come up with?A good insult at the right moment is like a splash on your face on a hot summer’s day.
- What’s the craziest thing you’ve done at someone’s house?Perhaps they’re into some kinky or totally weird stuff, so make sure that you listen carefully about what they’re saying to you.
- If you were arrested with no explanation, what would your friends and family assume you’d done?Robbed the bank, accused for drug dealing, or something else even more dangerous?
- What song best describes your life?We all have that one song that perfectly describes our life and everything we’re going through at the moment.
- What is the worst pick-up line you’ve ever heard?In case you’re planning on using some pick-up lines in the future, it is good to be familiar with the worst pick-ups according to your date.
Questions To Ask When Speed Dating
- How do you cope with stress or being in a bad mood?Some people are really bad at coping with stress or a bad mood and others have helpful methods. What method does your date use?
- What do you wish someone would ask you?If you want to let your date pick a question for themselves, then ask this one. The things we desire to be asked can tell a lot about our personality!
- What is the most important thing to you?Job, pet, family, or perhaps something else?
- What are the 3 words that your closest friends would use to describe you?The easiest way to reveal your date’s true nature is by asking them about how their close people are perceiving them.
- Describe yourself in 3 words.You can compare the previous question to this one and find out whether they see themselves in a totally different light compared to how others do.
- If you could be someone else for a day, who would you be?Would you be a superhero, an actor/actress, or perhaps a singer? By asking this question, you’ll find out about their secret desires and fantasies.
- If you had people coming over for a meal, what would you cook?Another way of asking them whether they know how to cook. After all, you don’t want to be with someone who doesn’t even bother trying to prepare a nice meal, right?
- What kind of music do you like to listen to?Rap, rock, pop, classical music? The type of music we enjoy can also tell a lot about our personality.
- What is one thing that’s on your bucket list?What is the one thing that you would die to do but didn’t have the time or simply couldn’t do it for some other reason?
- What is your favorite thing to do for fun?Is it watching your favorite TV shows, playing games, or something more exciting or even eccentric?
- How important is s**ual compatibility to you?S**ual compatibility is an important aspect in every relationship and it’s not something you should take for granted.
Best Speed Dating Questions
- What did you learn about yourself from your last relationship?Another way of asking them about what exactly happened in their last relationship and how those events have impacted them emotionally and physically.
- If you could rid the world of one thing, what would it be?This is really an interesting one. I bet you’re dying to hear an honest answer to this one.
- Bubble bath or long shower?Uhm… tough choice!
- What is your favorite memory with your best friend?Or, in other words, what is something really crazy you’ve done with your best friend that you will never forget?
- Do you like to do DIY projects?Are you a creative person who puts a lot of effort into DIY gifts or other projects. Or you’re someone who doesn’t really have the desire or time to bother with it?
- Dogs or cats?If they’re more into cats, chances are they really enjoy long cuddle sessions.
- Beer or wine?Beer people are generally more relaxed, friendly, and easy going, whereas wine people are more sophisticated and refined. To which category does your date belong?
- Coffee or tea?It is good to know whether you’ll invite them out for coffee or a cup of tea, right?
- What is your favorite TV show?Perhaps their favorite TV show is your favorite TV show as well. So, why not watch it together sometime?
- What kind of car do you drive?The type of car they drive can tell you a lot about their job, habits, practicality, and much more.
- Do you have a celebrity crush?Perhaps their celebrity crush has some similarities with your personality or appearance.
- Do you have one favorite book that changed your life?If you’re a book lover, this one question might change your life as well. It’s always good to broaden your horizons and increase the number of books on your shelf.
- What did you do last weekend?Were you partying, working, or studying for the upcoming exam?
- Are you a morning or night person?If you’re a night person like them, you may have more things in common than you thought.
- Have you been in a relationship before and if so, why did you break up?It is good to know the reason for their breakup so that you don’t repeat the same mistake again. Caution: Test the waters first before asking this. Some people may take offense at such a personal question.
- Do you believe in love at first sight?To make it sound really intentionally cheesy, you can simply add: “…or should I walk by again?”
- Do you think that the glass is half empty or half full?Are you a pessimist or an optimist?
- Are you close with your family?If family is something that you value a lot, it’s good to know that your potential partner is close with their family too.
- Do you enjoy your current job? Why or why not?If we’re doing something we don’t really enjoy, it is easy to become miserable and dissatisfied with our lives. But, if we have a job that we really enjoy doing, the chances are we’ll be more content and happy than the rest of the unlucky population. Unfortunately, not all of us have the opportunity to do what we like.
- What’s the most interesting thing you’ve read or seen this week?Are you up to date with the latest news and things happening around us or are you one of those souls living under a rock? I’m sure you’ll recognize to which category they belong according to their answer.
Remember that speed dating questions should be in accordance with your personality and mindset.
So, if any of these questions make you feel uncomfortable or anxious, you should never force yourself to use them at a speed dating event.
And if you (somehow) happen to forget all of the questions at some point, keep in mind these 3 rules:
- Stay away from questions about their past. Instead, focus on the questions that are future-oriented.
- Be creative and original. It’s the only way to stand out and be memorable.
- Listen to your gut and stay relaxed no matter what happens.
A speed dating event is not a date. It’s a first impression, so don’t forget to have fun as well!